THE ASHFORD AREA, KENT PAGE
|Wilson Information||Wilson Families of Westwell and Ashford||Lane Families of Sellindge||Tickner Families of Mersham and Smeeth|
|Westwell Village||St Mary Westwell||Oasthouses, Westwell|
|Westwell May 2011|
Westwell is a small and very pretty rural village about 4 miles north of Ashford. It is in a beautiful area of the North Downs. The Pilgrims′ Way runs close by.
The village has been in existence since Saxon times and is included in the Domesday book as Welle owned by the Archbishop of Canterbury′s monks. A weekly market has been held there since the time of Edward 1.
The Parish church is St Mary′s Church and Parish registers begin in 1558. Westwell is in the West Ashford registration district.
|St Mary′s Parish Church Ashford|
The Town of Ashford in Kent lies on the River Great Stour. It is on the A20 between Maidstone and Folkestone and is close to the M20.
It is about 60 miles from London and 15 miles from Canterbury. The town has been in existence since Saxon times and is mentioned in the Domesday book as Essetesford owned by Hugh de Montford. It had a church and two mills.
The town was incorporated in 1243 and became an important centre for agriculture and an important market town before 1600. The railway arrived from London in 1842 and continued to Dover in 1844.
The Parish Church of St Mary dates from 13th century with restoration in the 15th century and additions and alterations since that time.
Parish Registers begin 1570
|Copyright John Salmon licenced for re–use|
under a Creative Commons Licence
|St John The Baptist Mersham|
Mersham is a small village 3 miles south east of Ashford just off the south side of the A20 towards Hythe.
The village is recorded in the Domesday Book as Merseham belonging to the Archbishop of Canterbury. It had a church, 2 mills and two salt-houses.
The Church of St John the Baptist is a 14C rebuild of a 13C Church.
Parish registers begin 1558. Mersham is in the East Ashford registration district.
|Mersham Parish Church May 2011|
|St Mary the Virgin, Smeeth|
Smeeth is found about 1 mile further along the A20 but on the north side.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin was originally a Norman church but had additions in the 13C, 15C and much Victorian restoration.
Parish registers begin 1570. Smeeth is in the East Ashford registration district.
|Smeeth Parish Church May 2011|
|Parish Church of St Mary, Sellindge|
Sellindge or Sellinge is a rural parish about 6 miles south east of Ashford on the A20 towards Hythe.
The village was recorded in the domesday book as Sellinges: Harvey from Hugh de Montford. It had two churches and a mill.
The 13th century parish church is the Church of St Mary. Parish registers begin 1559. Sellindge is in the Elham registration district.
The village borders on the Romney Marsh and became associated with smuggling. It was linked with the nearby village of Aldington and with the notorious Aldington Gang.
|Copyright Jonathan Billinger, licenced for |
re–use under a Creative Commons Licence