THE LITTLE TORRINGTON
|The Parish Church of St Giles||Little Torrington|
|Little Torrington is a small village about 2 miles south of Great Torrington and 10 miles north of Black Torrington.
It was originally a Saxon settlement called Toritona.
The first recorded vicar was in 1259 but the present church of St Giles dates from the 15th century. It has been restored several times.
Bishop′s Transcripts date from 1597
|Little Torrington September 2009|
| The first Kellaway event in Little Torrington appears to be the arrival of John Kellaway from Black Torrington about 1725. John and wife Martha had two children John and Matthew, 1727 and 1729. Some of the information on this family comes from the notes and Will collection of the researcher Olive Moger held in the Devon Record Office.
The family did not grow in Little Torrington. Only one child of John junior seems to have survived. This was Matthew b.1763. He does not appear to have married and died in 1832 in Little Torrington.
Of interest is the property with which Matthew was involved 1800 and 1804. The Record Office at Exeter holds Leases between Matthew Kellaway and others over property in Petrockstowe, Manor of Heanton Sackville called Brightmanshays. Today we find Brightman's Hayes in Petrockstowe which is likely to be the same place.
This property was earlier associated with the Hankefords and Fitwaryns with whom the Kellaways had dealings many times. John Hankeford and Ameys Fitzwarren also appear on property documents associated with Sir John Stowford of Lifton.
The Will of Robert Yeo 1531 of Heaton Satchville (brother of Alice Yeo wife of Philip Stoforde/Kellaway)
Also N. Devon R.O. Little Torrinton Parish: 1784 Ann Ward apprenticed to Matthew Kellaway for South Hole
These records may provide us with other clues when trying to piece together the origins of the Black Torrington Family.
back to main index
back to Kellaway Research Index