THE BROADWOODKELLY PAGE
|The Parish Church
|All Saints Broadwoodkelly
|Broadwoodkelly, July 2015
|Lewis Families Broadwoodkelly
|Lewis Families Exbourne Area
|Lewis Families Winkleigh Area
|Fish Families Newton St Cyres
|Lewis Families Tavistock Area
|Lewis Families Whitchurch Area
|Lewis Information Tavistock
Broadwoodkelly is a small rural village about 10 miles north of Okehampton and 5 miles from Hatherleigh.
It was mentioned in the Domesday Book as Bradehoda. Brixton Barton, Ingleigh and Middlecote were also Domesday estates.
William de Kelly held the manor in 1242 through into C14. Later it was held by Belston and Gilbert families. In the reign of Charles I it belonged to Francis Weeks and then passed to the Northmores. In 1785 it was Purchased by the Cleave family although they never lived in the Parish residing in the Crediton area at Shobrooke.
There does not appear to have been what one might consider a specific manor house and in 1850 a great part of the parish belonged to the Davie, Hole, Arnold, Sampson, and Parker families. There are no Cleave events in the Parish Registers even though the family retained the manor into C20.
The Parish Church of All Saints dates from the 15th century, with later additions and a restoration in the 19th century.
The Parish Registers begin in 1609. Broadwoodkelly is in the Okehampton Registration District.
|The Village Centre
|Broadwoodkelly, July 2015
| The first real records we have for the Lewis family in Broadwoodkelly are for the family of Philip and Katherine (Handeford) who were married in 1735. They must have been a poor family as the children can be found in Poor Law Parish records being appenticed out from about the age of nine years. One son, John appears to have escaped to Newton St Cyres, married Mary (Fish) there and then been subject to a removal order back to Broadwoodkelly just before the birth of their first child in 1763.
In turn their first two children, Mary and John, were also apprenticed out. John was apprenticed to Hocksland (Hawksland) in 1772. He later married Dorothy Eastlake in Tavistock 1790 and it was a trail from there which finally lead back to John in Broadwoodkelly.
Many other villages were explored and more Lewis families can be found in Sheepwash, Shebbear, Upton Pyne, Okehampton, Buckland Filleigh, Fremington, Swimbridge, Little Torrington, Black Torrington, Frithelstock, Merton, Monkleigh and the Tavistock area.
Locally the villages around Broadwoodkelly are of interest. These include: Exbourne, Jacobstowe, Winkleigh, Chumlegh, Burrington, Iddesleigh and Sandford. Extensive searches have now revealed the origin of Philip, baptised 16 Dec 1703 in Jacobstowe son of William Lewes and Mary Dadge m.06 Oct 1703 Jacobstowe. William was baptised 29 Oct 1676 in Sheepwash son of David Lewes and Susanna.
William had a brother Philip baptised 24 April1679 Sheepwash who married Elizabeth Brock 10 May 1709 Jacobstowe. Their son David baptised 21 Dec 1732 Jacobstowe married Susanna Williams 01 Jan 1757 Exbourne and begins the Exbourne families.
This information has been added to the Broadwoodkelly and Exbourne Families Pages
It is known that the Kellaway family held land in Broadwoodkelly for a long time. Some of this land came from the Kayle family via the branch which became Whyta. Hugh Calowe held land there in 1420. In his IPM 1531 John Kayleway of Cullompton held land “Wodecrofte, Hoggersland, Moys & Alschedowne in the parish of Brodewodekellye”
(NA) C 1/209/15
(NA) C 1/144/21
Hugh Calaway paid tax G2 in the 1524/5 Subsidy Rolls.
Sir William Kellaway also owned property in Broadwoodkelly.
back to main index
back to Kellaway Research Index