THE STOKE CLIMSLAND FAMILES
|Joll Families||Deacon Families||Olver Families|
|Stoke Climsland||South Hill|
|Parish Church of All Saints||Parish Church of St Sampson|
|Stoke Climsland Spring 2004|
Stoke ClimslandStoke Climsland is a medium sized village 8 miles south of Launceston and 3 miles north of Callington. It is in Cornwall but close to the Devon border. This is in a lovely rural area which is a designated conservation area. There are many attractive stone and slate cottages in the historical village centre.
The village dates from Saxon times and the manor and lands were originally held by Tavistock Abbey. Later these passed to the Duchy of Cornwall Estate.
The Manor of Climson dates from domesday records 1087.
The Parish Church of All Saints, with its impressive granite tower, is of Norman origin and was dedicated in 1333. It has later additions and restoration took place in 1860.
Parish registers Begin in 1538.
South HillSouth Hill is a small rural village about 2 miles SW of Stoke Climsland.
The Parish Church of St Sampson is believed to be of 14th century origin with later additions and restoration in 1859.
Parish Registers begin in 1549.
A granite pillar about 8ft high, believed to date from 6th-8th century, with an inscribed cross and inscription was found in the rectory grounds in 1891 and was re-erected in the churchyard.
LinkinhorneLinkinhorne is a small village about 2 miles NW of South Hill. It is in the Lynher Valley and is a mainly agricultural area although there was some tin mining in the western part of the parish.
The Parish Church of St Mellor was built in 16th century and Parish Registers begin 1576. These are entered in IGI.
back to main index