THE KELLAWAY FAMILIES OF THE TAVISTOCK AREA
|Kellaway Families Tavistock and Whitchurch||Kellaway Families Lifton Area||Kellaway Families Black Torrington|
Tavistock and WhitchurchKellaway families arrived in the Tavistock Area in the mid 1700s from different parts of Devon.
The first group to arrive originated in Black Torrington.
Matthew Kellaway and Ann Harris married in 1794 Lamerton but settled later in Calstock. Two of their children remained in Calstock while the third returned briefly to Tavistock before moving on to Bristol. Matthew Jnr′s uncle James moved into Tavistock via Lifton. Another uncle, William also moved to Lifton and his son Henry moved on to Calstock while the daughters appear to have married in Tavistock. The son, James of a third uncle also moved to Lamerton and Tavistock late 1700s. They were all from a rural agricultural background but some descendants became carpenters and others became miners in Calstock.
The second group moved to Whitchurch around 1750 and began with William and his son, William who married Sarah Goss. Their origins are as yet unknown, however William Senior had a rather beautiful and high quality headstone for his grave when he died in 1772. This grave is one of only two trademarked Vosper-produced headstones in West Devon.
The third group arrived later with Charles Kelway (originally from Colyton) and his second wife Peggy Richards who arrived from Phillack, Cornwall with their family about 1850.
Interestingly, this last group are related by DNA to the Whitchurch group although no link has yet been established between them.
These groups have descendants in the UK, USA, Canada, and Australia.
|Kellaway Families Tavistock and Whitchurch||Kellaway Families Lifton Area||Kellaway Families Black Torrington||Kellaway Families Calstock|
back to Tavistock Page
back to main index
back to Kellaway index